THE BODY ACHIEVES WHAT THE MIND BELIEVES!

Age is just a number. You can get healthy and fit. But first you must BELIEVE!

© 2010-2017 (FitAt99.blogspot.com) All Rights Reserved

Remember:

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Switch it up, Take it seriously, Back off now and then.....It's a lifelong journey

When I started this program I would get up every morning and be at the gym at 6:00 to start exercising and training....worked out until 8:30 - 8:45...home by 9:00.  Then I started adding on fitness classes...lots of them.  Started counting every morsel I put my mouth (was sticking to a strict count of 1200 calories) and weighing myself (a lot!)  Well it all worked (for me) I lost lots of weight.  But then that 1200 calories caught up with me and I started not feeling so great.  My wise trainer said 1200 calories was good if I was just laying in bed or sitting on the couch and not exercising!  See I was burning up every calorie I was taking in and then some......and my body was not happy.....yes I was thinner....but not healthy.

So I had to start taking in more calories (which by the way was not a real easy thing to do since my stomach had shrunk and I just plain wasn't hungry).  I'd eat a bowl of fruit with yogurt, nuts, dates, and flax seed that kept me full until almost 2:00. But I made an effort to boost my calories up to 1400........which by the way is still not enough if you are taking 6 fitness classes a week and going to the gym.  The secret to losing weight is to burn more calories than you take in, but you have to find a balance or else your body goes into starvation mode and wants to hold on to every morsel you eat and it will cause your weight loss to stop or you may even gain.

So after many discussions with my trainers and my family....I was finally convinced that I needed to switch things up and even back off of some of the exercise.  So I've eliminated a few fitness classes and have started going back to the gym two days a week early in the morning.  It's rejuvenating my body, giving me more time to spend with my family and doing other things besides just exercising all the time. 

Don't take this post wrong.  I want you to still take getting fit and healthy seriously.  Just don't make it your whole life.  It should have priority, but it shouldn't be all consuming.

Try new healthy foods.  Try new exercises.  Try new times that you work out.  Don't keep doing the same routine.  Your muscles have memories and they will get complacent.  Switch things up and keep your muscles alive and alert.

If you think you're not eating enough calories add some more fruit and vegetables or some complex carbs like brown rice.

If you think (or know) you are eating too many calories, then cut back.
 .If you can't give up ice cream....limit it to a treat once a week.  Start looking at the sugar content of everything you buy.  Try to keep it below 10 grams.  Greek Gods plain yogurt has only 5 grams!  (Yes it's pretty plain...but you can add Stevia and some fruit and it's great).  Tell yourself and believe you can skip that What-A-Burger tonight and have a nice big salad with grilled chicken on it.

Find an exercise that works for you and that you enjoy....but don't limit yourself.  Try out a new fitness class.  You might just be surprised that you can do spin (stationary biking) or core exercises or even Zumba.

Just keep moving. Make a commitment.  Just don't let it take over your life or you will soon be unhappy and not willing to make this a life long change.

Losing weight--getting fit and healthy can help so many things other ailments you might have.  Don't let it become a burden too.....


Above all else remember....this is about getting fit and healthy. 
It's the rest of your life....embrace the journey
  Believe you can do this and have fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are committed to working on your health and fitness. Please leave a comment on this post or let me know if you'd like info on a fitness/health topic.