THE BODY ACHIEVES WHAT THE MIND BELIEVES!

Age is just a number. You can get healthy and fit. But first you must BELIEVE!

© 2010-2017 (FitAt99.blogspot.com) All Rights Reserved

Remember:

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

OK...so let's talk turkey



So are you a wanter, a wisher or do you make it happen?



This is the voice of experience talking to you heart to heart, soul to soul, and yes thunder thigh, pouchy stomach, flabby arms to thunder thigh, pouchy stomach and flabby arms.....

You can not just want to lose weight or get more healthy and fit.  You can't just wish it all would happen (well that's not quite true)....you can want it and wish it would happen....but just sitting on your duff wanting and wishing is not going to get you there.  Go ahead, grit your teeth, squinch up your mouth, roll your eyes....yep I'm getting on my soap box.

What are you going to do today to move toward your goal?  I hope your plans are to eat lots of fruit this morning along with some grains and nuts.  Try a bowl of old fashioned oat meal with fruit and Stevia.  Plan to have lots of veggies today too and some protein.  Trade out that soda for water....and if you can't stand plain water add some lemon and Stevia....I occasionally put some of the green tea and lemon flavoring that you can buy at the grocery store.  Water is important.  You should drink at least 8 glasses/ day.  It's important to plan out your meals....no plan leads to..."geeze I don't know honey, I didn't really plan anything....let's just go get a burger" (does that sound familiar?)

And while you're planning, how about planning to go to the gym and work out or go for a nice long walk.....remember the goal is to try to get in 10,000 steps a day....just keep moving....dance in your living room for an hour--plug in your IPod and move those hips.  If you do that non-stop for an hour you can get in at least 6,000 steps.  The important thing is to find something that you enjoy and that you will stick to and do at least 5 days a week.  Add some variety....try a core and cycle class or a cardio fit class, zumba, step aerobics....or.....

who knows what you might enjoy doing!!!

The operative word here is "doing".....what are you doing to make those wants and wishes come true?  On the Biggest Loser this season, the theme is NO EXCUSES.  I'm a big believer in that slogan.  Because believe me I've thought of them all....I don't have time, I'm too tired, I don't feel motivated...blah, blah, blah blah, blah....I told myself and convinced myself of every one of those and more  and it got me here...And then I joined a group (which I'd never ever done before) that made me accountable....that made me get weighed in once a week....that helped me set goals....that gave me motivation.  For the first time in my adult life (I'll be 64 in November) I think I've finally GOT IT.  I am the hope I've been wanting and wishing for.....and you are the hope you've been waiting for.  Think like an athlete....don't think "I'll believe it when I see it"....instead "See it (in your mind) and Believe (with all your heart) that you can get to that picture you see.  When I'm in cycle class and the trainer says gear 12 100 RPMs....GO.........I pump my heart out and the whole time I see myself (in my mind's eye) cycling to the finish line....getting that gold medal (my gold medal is being strong and fit and healthy at 99).  I hear the crowd go wild.  I see the confetti. And yes on some days I see the tears of joy rolling down my face knowing I gave it my all and I'm doing something....I'm not wanting or wishing.....I'm doing. 

You don't have to cycle at 100 RPMs, you can go for a relaxed walk, you can go for a swim, you can practice your balance....just do something every day. 

Don't you dare give up!  If you need some motivation or more encouragement write to me   peggylee57@AOL.com  I've been where you are.  I'm still a work in progress.  I want to be fit at 99 and I want you to be fit and healthy too!  If you need some real accountability and motivation, get a trainer.  A trainer can teach you the proper form to use on all the gym equipment, can talk to you about nutrition and the importance of stretching. A trainer can motivate you and be your cheerleader. 

And here's a really good tip.  If you want to see how fit (or unfit) you are check out this website  http://bandsphysicalconditioningteam.com/      These two very qualified and capable trainers will take you through a series of simple exercise tests and help you determine how fit you are compared to others your age and what you can do to get more fit.  If you hate to go to the gym because you think just young fit people go there or you have a health issue or restrictions, they'll come to you home (if you're in the Georgetown, Texas area) and bring the exercises and exercise equipment.

And oh by the way, losing weight is not like trying to quit smoking....


STOP WISHING AND WANTING....START DOING!
(OK  I'm getting off my box now....don't do this for me...do it for you!)


Ciao


Oh yeh!  I forgot the turkey part....here's a recipe I use to make turkey veggie patties.....they are healthy, low calorie and sooo good.  Eat them with a salad or even a baked potato...yum!

HomemadeTurkey-Veggie Burger Patties

 1 package of Honeysuckle White Extra Lean Ground Turkey (from HEB) 560 cal.
1 cup Arugila/Spinach/Carrot mixture ( from pkg. at HEB) 25 cal.
3/4 cup Cauliflower florets 19 cal.
3/4 cup Broccoli florets 15 cal.
2/3 cup Brussel Sprouts 25 cal.
1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper 7 cal.
1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper 23 cal
1/2 cup Progresso Bread Crumbs 220 cal.
1 egg 72 cal

 Put all veggies in a food processor and chop fine....DO NOT puree
Mix chopped veggies with Ground Turkey in a bowl
Mix in egg and bread crumbs
Season to taste
Form patties and cook in frying pan with spray cooking oil (to keep from sticking) (Turkey tends to stick)

 Be sure to cook patties on medium heat and check with meat thermometer (should be 165 degrees)

 I was able to get 11 patties (about 3 inches around).....so each of them is approx. 88 calories (you can certainly make them bigger if you prefer....just make the conversion on paper or in your mind for the extra calories based on how many you make out of your batch)

 I kept a couple out for the next few days and wrapped and froze the rest for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are committed to working on your health and fitness. Please leave a comment on this post or let me know if you'd like info on a fitness/health topic.